The University of Texas at Austin is hosting the developer-led construction of a world-class arena on campus that will become home to Texas Athletics’ men's and women’s basketball games, commencement ceremonies, concerts and other events. The new multi-purpose arena will consist of approximately 15,000 seats and be a state-of-the-art public venue, community event center and basketball arena consistent with other recently completed arenas for peer National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) college basketball programs. The arena will be located on what is currently a parking lot (Lot 70) south of Mike A. Myers Stadium and will replace the 41-year-old Frank C. Erwin Center, which will be razed to make way for future expansion of the Dell Medical School. The arena is expected to open by early 2022.
Red River Street Realignment
In addition to construction of the new multi-purpose arena, the University is undertaking a separate Capital Improvement Program project to realign Red River Street from approximately its intersection with 18th Street to just south of its intersection with Dean Keeton Street. This project will align Red River Street generally along the route of the existing Robert Dedman Drive. The name of this newly realigned street will remain Robert Dedman Drive (within Campus boundaries). Upon completion of the newly realigned Red River Street, the existing Red River Street will be formally vacated from approximately its intersection with Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard to its intersection with Clyde Littlefield Drive. This realignment is required to allow a footprint for the new Arena to be constructed.
- Beginning on May 5, 2020 thru January 2021 pedestrian and vehicular routes will be affected by construction activities.
- Beginning April 21, 2020, Robert Dedman Drive will be reduced to one northbound lane between Clyde Littlefield and DeLoss Dodds Way. Signage for drivers and pedestrian will be posted. These changes will be in place for approximately 3 months (thru early July 2020) and are due to installation of a utility ductbank in support of the Red River Realignment Project.
- Starting on April 20, 2020, utility work will begin on San Jacinto Street near 20th Street in support of the Arena Enabling Project and will continue through mid-July, 2020. Through traffic will be maintained with the aid of flaggers during phases when travel lanes narrow, and pedestrians will be re-routed for short distances as needed. Watch for signage in the area.
- Beginning on/around April 1, 2020 through July 2022, SpawGlass Construction will secure spaces located in the southeast corner of Lot 37 for their temporary construction office trailers. The jobsite offices are necessary to support the Red River Street Realignment Project. Once this project is complete the spaces will be restored.
- On or around April 2, 2020, Hunt Construction will begin to secure an area along the east side of Lot 37 to prepare sites for the installation of two trees relocated from the Moody Center construction site.
- This relocation is currently planned for the weekend of April 11, 2020. Excavation, tree relocation and restoration of Lot 37 is expected to be completed by the end of April 2020.
- Red River Street from Clyde Littlefield Drive to E. Dean Keeton Street will be closed to through traffic during the move but open to local traffic to the LBJ Library, Sid Richardson Hall, Indoor Practice Facility, and Materical Transfer Center during this time.
- For more information about this project phasing, view the RRR Phasing Plan Slideshow (PDF).
- For more information about the early phases of these projects, view the Moody Center Enabling Project Slides (PDF).
- See Also: Frequently asked questions about the Moody Center and Red River Realignment construction projects
Travel, Parking and Pedestrian Impacts
Travel, parking and pedestrian impacts through January 2022 are detailed in the following Campus communications:
- March 5, 2020, email to the Campus community (PDF)
- January 24, 2020, email to the Campus community (PDF)
- November 26, 2019, email to the Campus community (PDF)
- November 1, 2019, email to the Campus community (PDF)
- October 3, 2019, email to the Campus community (PDF)
Within the next several months, construction will continue in phases in several locations, and will be completed in these phases through July 2022. This page will be updated as the projects progress.
Moody Center (Arena) - Pedestrian & Vehicle Access During Construction (Map)