Moody Center Arena
The University of Texas at Austin is hosting the developer-led construction of the world-class Moody Center Arena that will become home to Texas Athletics’ men's and women’s basketball games, commencement ceremonies, concerts, and other community events.
The Moody Center Arena will be located just south of Mike A. Myers Stadium and extend into a portion of former Red River Street right-of-way just north of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Construction began in November 2019 and is scheduled to extend through April 2022.
Red River Street Realignment
In support of the new Arena and in close coordination with the City of Austin, the University will construct a new north-south roadway (between Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd and Dean Keeton Street) to replace capacity reduced by the vacation of Red River Street (between Manor Road and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd). This new corridor will return the 1900 block of Red River Street to its original alignment and retain the name Robert Dedman Street through campus. The new roadway will provide enhanced bicycle and pedestrian facilities, lighting, environmental features, and signaled crosswalks. The project began in April 2020 and is scheduled to be complete in the fall of 2022.
Both projects are subject to the University's environmental permit, and the Arena design will be compliant with the State's Capital View Corridor.
Beginning December 1, 2021 through August 2022 road construction within the area of Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. at Red River Street, Clyde Littlefield Drive at Robert Dedman Drive, and at Robert Dedman Drive at DeLoss Dodds Way that began in early April 2021 continues with the following changes to traffic routing.
- The westbound side of Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. at Red River Street will be closed for construction. Two-way traffic will be allowed on the eastbound side of Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. during this time. Although the intersection will be narrowed, pedestrians will still be able to access pathways on and near these roadways by following signage in the areas.
- All southbound traffic will be closed at the corner of Clyde Littlefield Drive and Robert Dedman Drive. All westbound traffic from I-35 down Clyde Littlefield Drive will only be allowed to proceed northward on Robert Dedman Drive or enter Manor Garage Entrance during this period. Pedestrians exiting Manor Garage will be able to use the northside sidewalk (near UTPD Office) and cross over to stadium entrances and accessibility ramps in this area.
- Due to the southbound traffic lane on Robert Dedman being closed, all intercampus traffic traveling eastbound on DeLoss Dodds Way toward Robert Dedman will only be allowed to proceed north toward Dean Keeton Street on Robert Dedman Drive. Pedestrians will be able to use all sidewalks in this area during this construction period.
- Traffic proceeding from the south exit of Manor Garage will only be allowed to exit onto Robert Dedman Drive and proceed west on 20th Street to San Jacinto Blvd. No pedestrian traffic will be allowed in this area during this construction period.
Signage for vehicles and pedestrians will be installed at key locations to assist with wayfinding, and flaggers will be on-site as needed to direct traffic.
Within the next several months, construction will continue in phases in several locations. This page will be updated as the projects progress.
- For more information about this project phasing, view the RRR Phasing Plan Slideshow (PDF).
- For more information about the early phases of these projects, view the Moody Center Enabling Project Slides (PDF).
- See Also: Frequently asked questions about the Moody Center and Red River Realignment construction projects
Travel, Parking and Pedestrian Impacts
Travel, parking and pedestrian impacts through January 2022 are detailed in the following Campus communications:
- November 12, 2021, email to Campus community (PDF)
- October 20, 2021, email to Campus community (PDF)
- March 23, 2021, email to Campus community (PDF).
- January 28, 2021, email to Campus community (PDF).
- January 6, 2021, email to Campus community (PDF).
- November 24, 2020, email to Campus community (PDF).
- March 5, 2020, email to the Campus community (PDF)
- January 24, 2020, email to the Campus community (PDF)
- November 26, 2019, email to the Campus community (PDF)
- November 1, 2019, email to the Campus community (PDF)
- October 3, 2019, email to the Campus community (PDF)