Moody Center Arena
The University of Texas at Austin is hosting the developer-led construction of the world-class Moody Center Arena that will become home to Texas Athletics’ men's and women’s basketball games, commencement ceremonies, concerts, and other community events.
The Moody Center Arena will be located just south of Mike A. Myers Stadium and extend into a portion of former Red River Street right-of-way just north of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Construction began in November 2019 and concluded April 2022.
Red River Street Realignment
In support of the new Arena and in close coordination with the City of Austin, the University will construct a new north-south roadway (between Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd and Dean Keeton Street) to replace capacity reduced by the vacation of Red River Street (between Manor Road and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd). This new corridor will return the 1900 block of Red River Street to its original alignment and retain the name Robert Dedman Street through campus. The new roadway will provide enhanced bicycle and pedestrian facilities, lighting, environmental features, and signaled crosswalks. The project began in April 2020 and is scheduled to be complete in the fall of 2022.
Both projects are subject to the University's environmental permit, and the Arena design will be compliant with the State's Capital View Corridor.
Beginning December 1, 2021 through April 2023 road construction within the area of Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. at Red River Street, Clyde Littlefield Drive at Robert Dedman Drive, and at Robert Dedman Drive at DeLoss Dodds Way that began in early April 2021 continues with the following changes to traffic routing.
- The eastbound bound side of Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. at Red River Street is closed for construction. Two-way traffic is allowed on the westbound side of Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. Although the intersection will be narrowed, pedestrians are still able to access pathways on and near these roadways by following signage in the areas.
- All traffic and pedestrian sidewalks on Robert Dedman Drive have been restored from Dean Keeton Street to Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. Access to Manor Garage from Robert Dedman has re-opened to vehicles.
Signage for vehicles and pedestrians will be installed at key locations to assist with wayfinding.
This page will be updated as the projects progress.
- For more information about this project phasing, view the RRR Phasing Plan Slideshow (PDF).
- For more information about the early phases of these projects, view the Moody Center Enabling Project Slides (PDF).
- See Also: Frequently asked questions about the Moody Center and Red River Realignment construction projects
Travel, Parking and Pedestrian Impacts
Travel, parking and pedestrian impacts through January 2022 are detailed in the following Campus communications:
- November 12, 2021, email to Campus community (PDF)
- October 20, 2021, email to Campus community (PDF)
- March 23, 2021, email to Campus community (PDF).
- January 28, 2021, email to Campus community (PDF).
- January 6, 2021, email to Campus community (PDF).
- November 24, 2020, email to Campus community (PDF).
- March 5, 2020, email to the Campus community (PDF)
- January 24, 2020, email to the Campus community (PDF)
- November 26, 2019, email to the Campus community (PDF)
- November 1, 2019, email to the Campus community (PDF)
- October 3, 2019, email to the Campus community (PDF)